Post Surgery

One of my favorite books is “The Hiding Place” by Corrie Ten Boom.  The book tells of Corrie’s life during World War II.  For me, it is one of those important books I want my children to read and understand.

Corrie’s father often took her with him when he traveled for his watch business.  A beautiful interaction between Corrie and her father took place on a train when she was 10 years old.

And so seated next to my father in the train compartment, I suddenly asked, ‘Father, what is sexsin?’
He turned to look at me, as he always did when answering a question, but to my surprise he said nothing. At last he stood up, lifted his traveling case off the floor and set it on the floor.
‘Will you carry it off the train, Corrie?’ he said.
I stood up and tugged at it. It was crammed with the watches and spare parts he had purchased that morning.
‘It’s too heavy,’ I said.
‘Yes,’ he said, ‘and it would be a pretty poor father who would ask his little girl to carry such a load. It’s the same way, Corrie, with knowledge. Some knowledge is too heavy for children. When you are older and stronger, you can bear it. For now you must trust me to carry it for you.’

As I watch David laying in a hospital bed after his surgery, my mind keeps returning to those words from Corrie’s father.

“Some knowledge is too heavy for children.  When you are older and stronger, you can bear it.  For now you must trust me to carry it for you.”

The magnitude of what happened today weighs on my heart.  The surgery went well.  The surgeon said David did well.  No complications.  The tissue removed was notably bad tissue.  The surgeon is hopeful that this surgery will improve David’s life.  But David does not feel well.  The next week will be very difficult for him.

We never told David much about the surgery.  We simply told him that the doctors would fix some things in his head in order to help his tummy.  David never asked for more.  The simplicity of his trust in us humbles me.  He wakes up, tells us his head hurts, seeks comfort, we reassure him, he goes to sleep.  He doesn’t question “Why?”  He simply endures.

The scriptures often speak of being like little children.  I hope I trust Heavenly Father the way David trusts us.  I hope I can simply endure with patience without questioning “Why?”  I imagine, when I get to heaven, I’ll understand better the trials of this life.  But for now, I am thankful to a Heavenly Father who sent His Son to carry my burdens, to carry my son’s burdens.  I am thankful for Christ, who suffered our pains; who knows, truly knows what my son feels right now; who can comfort David with a comfort only Heaven can provide.  Yet, in His infinite mercy, allows me and our family to be at David’s bedside, doing all we can to help him to feel loved and to feel safe.

15 Responses to Post Surgery

1. Carissa April 25, 2014 at 1:12 am #

Will and Harrison were so excited and happy to see David (and Mom, Dad, Grandma and Grandpa)! We are glad he is recovery well. The boys can’t wait to play with David!

2. Sara knapp April 25, 2014 at 1:22 am #

You know, I just barely read The Hiding Place for the first time. Those passages are some of my very favorite, and they are so apt! It’s a beautiful book and I’m glad it has given you some comfort. My prayers are with you guys constantly!

• Trish April 25, 2014 at 12:15 pm #

Thank you. I wish you lived closer to me still!

3. Molly Lent April 25, 2014 at 2:07 am #

I am so happy to hear that things went well. You are all so amazing and are such great examples of faith! We will continue to pray for your family!

4. Kristin April 25, 2014 at 4:29 am #

You are always in our prayers. What is the meaning of “notably bad tissue?”. We love you!

• Trish April 25, 2014 at 12:14 pm #

Notably bad tissue…good brain tissue is soft, like Jell-O. The tissue they removed from David’s brain was hard. They said it was probably malformed since birth. Tissue that is visibly bad is a good thing in this situation. Seizures are a signal that something is wrong in the brain. When they find bad brain tissue it is most likely that the seizures were happening as a symptom of the bad tissue. Therefore, removing that bad tissue makes the chances go WAY up of the seizures going away.

5. Melissa Nichols April 25, 2014 at 5:08 am #

I am so glad that the surgery went well. I admire you and your family for your faith and trust in Heavenly Father. We will continue to pray for David and the rest of your family!

6. Stephanie Nieman April 25, 2014 at 5:53 pm #

I am thrilled to hear that things are going in a right direction. Your family deserves it. Our family has been praying for you guys everyday, especially Parker. We love you guys and hope the best for David. You have amazing faith Trish!

7. Jen Cummings April 25, 2014 at 7:33 pm #

I just saw your post on facebook and didn’t know David and your family were going through such a challenge. I am so happy to hear that the surgery went well! We will keep David and your whole family in our prayers. I read your post and then went back and read your previous posts leading up to surgery. I’m in tears. You continue to be an inspiration to me with your amazing strength and faith! Sending love and hugs!

8. Amy Rose April 26, 2014 at 12:37 am #

I am so glad to hear that surgery went well. I pray that his recovery will go well too. You are an inspiration, and the right person to be David ‘a mother. You and your family will continue to be in my prayers.

9. Kristi Horton April 26, 2014 at 8:43 am #

So happy to hear that your faith, your family’s faith and the faith of friends and doctors have truly born witness of its true power. You are all a great inspiration to the rest of us. You will all be in our prayers during David’s recovery.

10. Kristi Horton April 26, 2014 at 8:51 am #

Also, was this mass a surprise, meaning was it “hidden” so to speak in MRI’s etc? It really is a miracle that you found these doctors.

• Trish April 26, 2014 at 8:18 pm #

Two MRIs did not show anything. But the doctors continued studying the MRIs and identified a tiny spot that look irregular. That is the area they removed. The MRI did not show the extent of the mass and it BARELY showed the mass. Does that make sense?

11. Kristi Horton April 26, 2014 at 8:35 pm #

Yes makes sense. It really is a miracle then that you found these doctors.

12. Annette April 27, 2014 at 1:25 am #

You’re amazing, always have been! Sounds like your kids have your same strength and amazingness. Sending hugs and prayers your way!